The Piper

........... ...........


The Barnes Review
A Journal of Nationalist Thought & History

Volume XII Number 1.....January/February

P. 30. FDR ADDLED AT YALTA? Michael Collins Piper
Franklin D. Roosevelt's presidency was a disaster for the entire world, especially his bizarre behavior at Yalta, where he sentenced half of Europe to a living death under Communism. But it turns out he may have had an excuse; it seems he was suffering from cancer of the brain. The real fault, then, would like with the system of government that would allow such a mentally ill, brain-diseased president to continue to occupy the White House...

FDR @ Yalta

New Evidence Implies
It Was Brain Cancer That
Clouded FDR's Judgment
at Yalta Conferences

New evidence portrays an irrational president running the country during the tragic years when Eastern Europe was betrayed to Communism. All honest historians and observers have wondered why Roosevelt plotted Pearl Harbor, demanded unconditional surrender, made the war last more than a year longer than it should have, rejected dozens of peace overtures from Germany and Japan, gave away the fruits of victory to Stalin at Yalta and surrounded himself with traitorous Communists. Now, says Michael Piper, the reason is finally known: FDR had brain cancer. He was a sick, irrational and dying man, literally out of his mind. This is a story the orthodox media has kept from you for decades.

By Michael Collins Piper

The late President Franklin Delano Roosevelt, long believed by historians to have died from a stroke brought on by the heavy burdens of his high office, was actually killed by a brain tumor. His tumor or, more technically, a form of malignant melanoma, appears to have begun as early as Roosevelt's second term in 1937. Its deadly progression warped the thinking of FDR to such a degree that he made decisions that not only forced the American people into World War II but prolonged the war for more than a year, thus causing millions of unnecessary, war-related casualties around the globe.

Rumors and unsubstantiated reports of FDR's deteriorating
health date back to when he was president. But recently people with first-hand knowledge have been willing to come forth and state unequivocally that Roosevelt's real state of physical and mental health was common knowledge in Washington social circles even in the days before World War II.

In an effort to either confirm or finally put to rest the talk that FDR was, by virtue of his illness, literally incapable of rationally running the government during the tumultuous late 1930s and early' 40s, this writer sought out various survivors of that era who might reasonably have been in a position to have knowledge of FDR's condition.

While virtually all of those contacted were reluctant to talk — in many cases because of their own associations and vested interests in the Roosevelt administration — ultimately a portrait began to emerge of a president plagued by sharply deteriorating physical condition and mental aberrations.

One source, who was willing to discuss the matter on condition that he not be publicly identified, was not a member of the administration but moved freely among the Washington society of that day, which was sharply dominated by administration insiders.

He was a frequent guest at the almost daily social gatherings held by Washington hostess Evie Robert, who held court for the New Deal's elite from the Mayflower Hotel. Among those regularly present at Mrs. Robert's gatherings, he recalled, were FDR confidant Harry Charlie Michelson, as well as various writers and correspondents from the Establishment press.


The source related: 'The first time I heard about FDR having a brain tumor was at Evie Robert's. It was common knowledge among all those people at that time that Roosevelt had this head disease. They talked about the fact that he couldn't control his bladder or bowels. It was known that he suffered periods of forgetfulness and memory lapses, and it was frequently said that he was senile.

"Primarily, however, they said that FDR was extraordinarily stubborn — abnormally stubborn — and once he made up his mind nothing would budge him. They used to call him 'the mule' and 'the donkey' behind his back.

"And this," the source continued, "was not the only place where the president's ill health was a matter of general knowledge openly spoken of. The Washington medical hierarchy, particularly those doctors attached to the U.S. surgeon general's office, were also plugged into the situation. One of the doctors attached there used to treat me, and he would talk about how terrible FDR really looked, how wasted away he was, and how his aides and family would apply a lot of heavy makeup on him for public appearances. I was also told that one of his sons, James Roosevelt, was very adroit at standing him up in a certain manner so as to look natura1."


If FDR's health was a subject of both gossip and concern in Washington's drawing rooms and among the medical hierarchy, there were other persons, with interests inimical to the U.S. government, who also kept tabs on this situation. Intelligence sources with ties to the Office of Strategic Services (OSS), the CIA's predecessor, have now told this writer that German intelligence was far more informed about Roosevelt's mental and physical condition than American citizens.

These sources stated that German records from that period on file in the National Archives include innumerable communiques from German agents to Adolf Hitler and his aides, which date back as far as 1937. One of these sources noted: "I think that there were probably more messages to Germany regarding FDR's health than there were about our war activities. Essentially, Hitler was getting intelligence to the effect that FDR was a violent adversary because he was insane, and this information began flowing around 1937."

The source added: '''While all of this was unknown to the American public, who of course re-elected FDR avo more times after 1937, the people supplying information to the German high command had no difficulty getting this information. They were prominent persons in Washington society, and some of them had titles.

"These people were allowed to move in the highest social circles, and they formed friendships with people like Secretary of State Cordell Hull, Henry Cabot Lodge, John D. Rockefeller and a host of other bigwigs. These spies met and dined and socialized with the very people who knew the most about what was happening in the Roosevelt White House."

It is difficult to assess, after 60 years, the effects that FDR's long-hidden illness had on the thousands of domestic and international policies implemented during that turbulent era. But one presidential action that our sources generally agreed was the outgrowth of his unstable and constantly deteriorating mental condition was his enunciation in 1943 at Casablanca of his unconditional surrender policy for the Germans.

This policy, which went against the urgings and advice of his top military leaders, illustrates how Roosevelt had progressively allowed himself to fall under the spell of the Communists and fellow travelers who riddled his inner circle of friends and advisers. Roosevelt's decision to accept nothing less from the Germans than unconditional surrender not only prolonged the war by at least one year but permitted the triumph of the Soviet government of Josef Stalin over much of Eastern Europe and the German state.

It is difficult to assess,
after 60 years, the effects
that Franklin Roosevelt's
long-hidden illness had
on the thousands of domestic
and international policies
implemented during that
turbulent era.



In his book F.D.R, My Exploited Fatherin-Law, Col. Curtis B. Dall offers an account of a German attempt to end the war in 1943, which dovetails with the new information emerging from this current probe.

Col. Dall received his information from former Pennsylvania Gov. George Earle, who in 1943 was Roosevelt's personal naval attache to Istanbul, Turkey, and was there approached by Adm. Wilhelm Canaris, head of the German Secret Service. According to Earle's account, Canaris presented himself as a member of an influential anti-Nazi segment of the German government that believed Hitler was not only leading the nation down a path of destruction, but also helping to set the stage for the spread of Communism throughout much of Europe.

He put forth to Earle, for Roosevelt's approval, a plan whereby the German army might be surrendered to the American forces if the president would merely indicate that he would accept an honorable surrender. Canaris noted that the type of unconditional surrender plan just previously enunciated by Roosevelt would be totally unacceptable to the German military.

Earle related how he transmitted this message to FDR several times via various diplomatic channels without receiving any reply to this proposal for an early end to the war. As the weeks and months wore on Earle repeatedly sought a response from the White House, but when it finally came it was, in effect, a brush-off.

In short, Earle concluded that Roosevelt was determined that the war must continue-no matter how many Americans and foreigners must die — until the stage was set for the Soviets to participate in the spoils of the conflict and to establish their hegemony over the countries of Eastern Europe. Indeed, Gov. Earle told Col. Dall he felt sure an unnamed "influence" had the ear of President Roosevelt — an influence quite willing to see all the German people wiped out, regardless of how many American soldiers' lives would be sacrificed on the battlefield, on the sea and in the air, to accomplish that monstrous objective.


Baron Kurt von Lersner, who headed the Orient Society, a German cultural organization in Istanbul, spoke to Earle on behalf of the German anti-Nazis. He told the governor that if Roosevelt would merely agree to an honorable surrender, Hitler would either be killed by his group or handed over to the Americans.

George T. Eggleston wrote in his Roosevelt, Churchill, and the World War II Opposition: 'There were constant rumors that a clique of German generals planned to kill Hitler and sue for peace. [But] the Stout bureau [a U.S. government propaganda office called the Writers War Board, headed by mystery novelist Rex Stout] countered the rumors by claiming 'that any such peace plan was a scheme to cover up the fact that these generals were planning World War III' (!) Later, when Hitler narrowly escaped assassination at his staff HQ, the Stout propaganda [hate] machine pro-claimed that the incident was merely another Nazi trick to get easy peace terms, preparatory to starting another war."


Eggleston agrees with Dall's thesis that Roosevelt was a very sick man, a dying president. He quotes Henry Luce, of Life magazine, who confessed his role in the Establishment media conspiracy to hide the moribund condition of the American leader:

Dan Longwell, the managing editor of Life, "showed me, oh, a hundred pictures of Roosevelt-200. In about half of them, he was 'a dead man.' We decided to print the ones that were the least bad. And thereby ... we infringed our contract with readers to tell them the truth."

Eggleston says it was not until many years later that the whole truth about Roosevelt's condition in 1944-45 was revealed in Jim Bishop's painstakingly researched FDR's Last Year. FDR had a persistent cough, a grayish pallor, a noticeable agitation of the hands, a blue cast to the lips and fingernails; with indications of hypertension, hypertensive heart disease, failure of the left ventricle of the heart and fluid in both lungs.

An entire chapter is devoted to "The Deplorable Deception During 1944 About the Health of a Mentally and Physically Sick President" by author Hamilton Fish in his book FDR — The Other Side of the Coin. Vice Adm. Ross T. McIntyre, surgeon-general of the Navy, was Roosevelt's personal physician. McIntyre knew the president had serious heart trouble and secretly assigned him a Navy heart specialist to be constantly at his side. He also ordered Roosevelt to work no more than four hours a day — enough in itself to disqualify him as president.

Photograph of FDR before radio microphones.

Caption: "A DEMENTED MIND? Above center, October 12, 1939, FDR addresses America over a nationwide hook up in a speech on the Neutrality Bill. Author Michael Collins Piper believes that Franklin Roosevelt had a malignant cancer hiding behind the mole above his left eye. Was surgery performed on FDR to remove the melanoma? Was he afflicted with judgment-affecting brain cancer? But that wasn't all that afflicted FDR. He also had a serious heart condition and it was suspected he had a stroke sometime around August of 1944. And even though he was not expected to live through the conference with Papa Joe and Winnie, FDR insisted on going to Yalta himself. There he was bested by Stalin in grueling negotiations, made a willing participant in brutal civilian bombings by Churchill and easily manipulated by vultures looking to feed on what was left of the corpse of the German nation."



But Roosevelt, with an insatiable lust for power, was determined to get himself re-elected in 1944. He contrived to keep his shocking mental and physical deterioration secret from the Democratic delegates who nominated him. McIntyre, who had received many favors from Roosevelt, went along with this deception. He was quoted in Life (July 21, 1944), during the presidential campaign, as asserting: "The president's health is excellent. I say that unreservedly."

Meanwhile heart specialist Dr. James E. Pauling established a strict regimen for the "healthy" president: Get 10 hours of sleep, cut down from 30 to five cigarettes a day, have 45 minutes of massage and [ultra]violet ray treatments daily. Rest one hour in the afternoon, lie down before dinner, and take vitamin injections.

After August 1944, when he apparently suffered a minor stroke, Roosevelt frequently dozed over his mail. In conversations he frequently "drew a blank" and would have to be reminded what he had been talking about.

The Secret Service, told the president "might go at any time," agreed to step up its protection of the vice president. This was done in utmost secrecy; there is not even any record who made the request.

On January 6, 1945, Roosevelt admitted to friends that he could not stand on his feet long enough to deliver his State of the Union message of only 3,000 words. Later that month, after the inaugural swearing-in, he confessed to his son James that he had suffered severe chest pains and had feared he might collapse in the middle of the ceremony.


Nevertheless, despite his family's fears he might not survive the trip, he headed for Yalta, Crimea, in February for a summit meeting with Churchill and Josef Dzhugashvili, who called himself "Stalin." James A. Farley, one of FDR's advisers, maintained that "had [FDR] not been physically and mentally tired at Tehran and Yalta and at home, and had America had vigorous voice in international affairs, statesmen of the world are agreed and almost without exception that many of the troubles affecting the world today would not have arisen." (The Tehran conference had ended in December 1943.)

Yalta was a disaster for the cause of freedom. While Stalin was in the best of tempers, FDR seemed very tired. His eyes were like dark sockets, and his mouth hung listlessly open. Much of the time he seemed almost oblivious to his surroundings.
Not only was he exposed to a series of exhausting talk sessions, but also the social demands were also overwhelming for a man in his condition. A typical Yalta dinner party, hosted by the Soviets, consisted of 20 courses and as many as 45 separate toasts with vodka. No one should have been surprised that the free Polish government in London was sold down the river at Yalta, along with millions of anti-Communist Eastern Europeans.

The war was still going on, and Roosevelt was a party to a horrible decision by Churchill at Yalta to make a holocaust out of the ancient German art city of Dresden, leaving tens of thousands of innocent civilians dead.

Influenced by Harry Hopkins, who was branded "the Rasputin of the White House" by congressmen, FDR had made most of the basic decisions long before the Yalta conference: the betrayal of Poland, the support of the proposed UN and the Morgenthau Plan for the utter destruction of Germany. When in doubt, he simply conceded anything Stalin wanted.

Another symptom of Roosevelt's deteriorating mind was the order for U.S. forces not to take Berlin and not to take Prague, whose people were frantically pleading to surrender to the Americans. Instead, Gen. Eisenhower held back, to await the arrival of the Red Army, thereby ensnaring for the enemies of freedom a large segment of Western civilization.


Over the decades countless historians and chroniclers of the Roosevelt years and of the American role in World War II have advanced a variety of theories, conclusions and analyses as to why FDR might have pursued certain policies and doctrines both at home and abroad. The vast majority of these writers whether raving over or decrying this period in our country's history have addressed implicitly the state of FDR's physical and mental health and its possible effects on his policy formulations, but until now nothing has been said about his brain cancer.

Joseph P. Lash's highly favorable work, Eleanor and Franklin, includes many statements from Mrs. Roosevelt and others that the president was frequently difficult to deal with or persuade to a particular viewpoint and that all but a handful of his advisers generally declined to disagree with him or attempt to change his mind once it was made up.

Many authors, including Lash, refer to the change that occurred in Roosevelt particularly his increased dogmatism as his years in the White House rolled by. But until now there has been little offered by way of explanation for this behavior.


Photograph of FDR at podium

Caption: UNFIT FOR OFFICE: Above, President Franklin D. Roosevelt speaks during his fourth inauguration ceremony. Standing second from right is his son, Lt. Co!. James Roosevelt, and on the far right his secretary, Maj. Gen. Edwin A. Watson. Roosevelt was so ill by this time that he confided to his friends that he doubted he could make it through the 3,000-word speech he had worked up for the ceremony. After the ceremony, he confessed to his son that he had experienced severe chest pains during the speech and had feared he might collapse in the middle. For the good of the nation, FDR should never have allowed himself to be sworn in.


Coincidentally, this writer, while in the process of eliciting information about the health of the late president, received an unsolicited letter from a Florida doctor, who alleges that Roosevelt was in fact suffering from a malignant melanoma of the brain.

In a letter dated March 6, 2005, Dr. David Ohlwiler, a plastic surgeon, forwarded to this writer a UPI photo of the late president that shows a dark pigmentation over FDR's left eye. The doctor refers to this dark patch as a "pigmented nevus" or "lesion," of which he states: "This lesion was present many years, but it enlarged and darkened significantly during his second and third terms as president."

Dr. Ohlwiler continues: 'The tumor allegedly became a malignant melanoma and was excised. Portraits made during his third term show no evidence of the lesion. Photographs of the president preceding and during the Yalta agreement show acute and severe generalized wasting."

According to one medical dictionary consulted, a malignant melanoma generally begins with a pigmented mole, which ultimately turns cancerous and begins to invade the body at the point of origin and subsequently spreads to the adjoining cells and tissues. The brain and liver are among the sites most commonly affected, although any part of the body may fall prey to this deadly affliction.

In addition to this startling, unsolicited diagnosis provided by Dr. Ohlwiler, he further offered the following explosive information:

"A certain autopsy done at Walter Reed Hospital showed malignant melanoma of the brain. The interesting facts are:

• "No number was assigned to the autopsy case. This is unprecedented in hospital pathology departments.
• 'The unlisted autopsy was performed within a few days after President Roosevelt's death."

Interestingly, those old enough to recall the president's passing in April 1945 will in light of this new information be reminded that Roosevelt's body did not lie in state as the bodies of previous presidents had. Instead it was removed from his vacation retreat in Warm Springs, Georgia, to Macon, where it was cremated. The casket containing his ashes was then said to have been placed on a train from Georgia to Washington. There the traditional funeral procession down Pennsylvania Avenue was held. The cremains were next taken to the East Room of the White House, where services were held.

Efforts to track down physicians who were at Walter Reed when the alleged "phantom autopsy" might have been performed have proven unsuccessful, since those men who might have been present or known of such an autopsy have either died or retired to places unknown. After much concerted effort, this writer did reach one physician who had been attached to Walter Reed Army Hospital at a later date and who, under questioning, went so far as to state, 'There has been much talk over the yeats about FDR and a melanoma, although I personally do not know anything specific."

Clearly, the president of the United States, in one of the most important periods of our history, was a deathly sick man whose body and mind were failing him.

Additional confirmation of these findings may, of course, go far toward explaining how he came to be persuaded into the enunciation of so many far-reaching and devastating policies.

Many patriots have long stated that Roosevelt a sick, mentally incompetent man, who was by any standard unfit to be president or indeed hold any position whatsoever of even moderate responsibility was the tool of the international bankers and Communists, who used World War II to arrange governments of the world into the kind of power blocs that would prove most beneficial to their interests. The latest findings confirm this to be true. The Communists and bankers will stop at nothing, and will stoop to any level, to advance their schemes .•

is a frequent contributor to THE BARNES REVIEW and the author of Final Judgment: The Missing Link in the JFK Assassination Conspiracy ($25), called the definitive work on the JFK execution. He is also the author of The New Jerusalem: Zionist Power in America ($19.95) and The High Priests of War ($19.95). Order any of these books from TBR BOOK CLUB by calling 1-877-773-9077 toll free and charging to Visa or MasterCard. TBR'subscribers take 10% off book prices. Add $3 per book S&H.